Put yourself in the pilot’s seat at Queensland Air Museum’s OPEN COCKPIT WEEKEND held in the mid-weekend of the July Queensland School Holidays each year.
Over this weekend QAM opens in a carnival atmosphere with a large range of activities and entertainment for the visiting public;
• As many as 20 historic aircraft are open to the public. Imagine sitting the pilot’s seat of the F-111, Mirage Jet and many, many more. A visit to the Lockheed Neptune, P3 Orion and the Ventura are a real experience, and Australia’s first Douglas DC-3, built in 1937, and operated by KLM on the Amsterdam to Batavia route, a 5-day trip! Our experienced guides will be on hand to tell the story behind each of these historic aircraft and it’s only available once each year.
• At the Caloundra Airport there is a huge Air-side display of vintage and veteran aircraft (weather permitting), and, depending on operation needs, the RAAF may support with an aircraft or helicopter.
• Kid’s activities, live music, a large range of food and drinks, enjoy ‘real’ coffee.
• Look out for a range of other activities and entertainment to be promoted on our Facebook page
• A huge range of aviation models and model kits as well QAM polo shirts, F-111 caps and a large range of souvenirs.
• A fun day for families and children of all ages!
As the name suggests, the cockpits of several aircraft are opened for public inspection. Museum visitors are invited to actually sit in the cockpits of selected aircraft including the iconic F-111. Some of the larger aircraft, for example our 1937 vintage Douglas DC-3, are also opened up so that visitors can experience an aisle that goes uphill, sit in the cabin once travelled in by General Douglas Macarthur and see what air travel was like in days gone by.
Next Open Cockpit Weekend: 3rd – 4th July, 2021
Note: OCW hours are from 09:00 until 4:00 both days
Pre purchase tickets are available online. Book below.
OCW Admission Prices
Disability access + wheelchair hire
Companion Disability Card Accepted
Hot & Cold Drinks available
|Child – $10.00
Adult – $20.00
Concession – $15.00
Family – $40.00
(2 adults + 3 children)
**Price includes regular museum display.**
For a detailed map of the Shuttle Bus route available for the event, please click here
If you like to make a reservation of the event please click here
Bus Route 605 runs past Caloundra Aerodrome. Please check the TRANSLink Travel Planner before travelling.